The requirements and procedures for opening a bank account in Ghana varies from one bank to another. This is why I am going to reveal to you how to open a bank account in Ghana at any the branches of the various banks in Ghana.
Before I proceed I would like to explain two key terms I will be using more frequently in this article.
- Bank Account
A bank is a financial institution that accepts deposits and allows customers to withdraw their deposited funds anytime whiles having access to loans.
A bank account is a financial safe or wallet you create with a bank to keep your money and facilitate financial transactions. This is used to record deposits (credits) and withdrawals (debits) from your already deposited funds.
READ ALSO: How to Check If Your iPhone is Original or Fake.
Types of Bank Accounts
- Savings Account: This is an account that earns interest at the end of every month on the money deposited in it.
- Current Account: A current account is a bank account where you can store and withdraw money. This type of accounts are usually suitable for business men or anyone who performs a high number of transactions.
- Fixed Deposit Account: A fixed deposit, also known as an FD, is an investment instrument offered by banks, as well as non-banking financial companies (NBFC) to their customers to help them save money.
- Student Account: A student account is simply a current account designed to be used by people enrolled in higher education.
Depending on the bank you will choose, there might be more account and the names of the accounts mentioned above may differ from bank to bank.
Now let’s dive in.
SEE MORE: How to Send MTN Please Call Me Back In Ghana.
What You Need to Open A Bank Account in Ghana
- ID Card (eg. Ghana Card, Voters ID Cards, Passport or Driver’s License)
- Passport Picture (hard copy)
- Utility Bill
- Initial Deposit Amount (Minimum GH¢30.00 for most banks)
- Phone Number
- Name of Next of Kin
- Contact of Next of Kin
- Referral Person (for Ecobank and ABSA)
How to Open A Bank Account in Ghana
To open a bank account in Ghana, you will need certain things and certain information to facilitate that. See below the things you will need to open a bank account in Ghana.
- Visit a branch of any bank you would like to open an account with.
- Request to open an account (saving account, student account, fixed deposit account, and current account)
- You will be given a form to answer some required questions. At some banks you will be interviewed instead.
- Your details will be processed and saved into their banking system were you account number will be generated.
- Once your data reflects on the system and you account number is generated, bravo! You now have a bank account of your own.
- You will be ask to make an initial deposit or more if you don’t mind.
READ ALSO: Banks in Ghana and Their SORT Codes.
How to Open A Bank Account Online in Ghana
If you want to open a bank account online in Ghana, follow the step-by-step guide I have put together below for you.
- Choose the bank you want to open an account with
- Visit their website
- Navigate to Online Banking
- Request to Open An Account
- Enter the require details and submit
- Wait for an email or a call from them
- If you get the call, answer the questions they ask you
- They will assist you to create a fully functioning bank account in just a few minute.
In most cases, you will have to visit the branch of the bank you selected during registration to complete the account opening process.
You should also take not that note all banks in Ghana offers you the luxury of creating a bank account online.
ALSO READ: How to Make Real Money From Blogging.
How to Open A Bank Account in Ghana Using USSD Code
As mention above, not all banks in Ghana allows to you to create a bank account online. Opening a bank account in Ghana using a USSD code is practices by almost all the banks. This means that even if you cannot open an account with a particular bank online, you can opt for creating the bank account with their USSD codes.
- Dial the USSD Code
- Select open account option
- Choose your ID Type to proceed
- Follow the prompts and provide the needed information until it’s complete.
Opening a bank account is so easy and doesn’t take much of your time. You can have a full functional bank account within a few hours of walking into any bank. Having a bank account comes with many benefits.
Leave us a feedback in the comments section about How to Open A Bank Account in Ghana. You can follow us of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Telegram to receive the latest updates as soon as we publish them. You can also subscribe to our notifications and newsletters.